Saturday 2 February 2008

Act 2: scenes 6 and 7

What a play! Very much like real life in the classroom... Throughout this play not only did Rita learn, but also Frank; and this is one of my beliefs as a teacher: the teaching process is enriching both for the students AND for the teacher!! Rita has learned a lot during the course of the play: she has learned that there's more to life than the pub (at the beginning of the play) and by the end of the play she came to realise that appearances are not important: Trish's attempted suicide, among many other things, taught Rita that what is important is to be in charge of one's life and to have a mind of one's own... In this way, one could say that Frank succeeded in his goal as a teacher! We could say that Educating Frank could have been a suitable title for the play since, as I said before, Frank has learned a lot as a teacher from this experience, he has learned to become a commited teacher...
As to our lives as teachers, I truly believe (both as a teacher and student) that teaching a subject entails more than just the mere subject: it implies a change in our students' lives... A teacher I admire once told me that a subject is just a excuse to be with our students!! Commitment, passion are feelings that are at stake when we are teachers, if we want to go beyond our subject to transmit more... I've certainly enjoyed reading this play and reflecting on it!

2 comments:

Gladys Baya said...

Great to read you believe in the teacher as a learner, Andre! (could have guessed, I must say! :-P!)An educator who allows themselves to be educated while teaching will never get bored by their job...
I wish you lots of success in your professional development. Never forget your students are lucky to have the chance to interact with the great human being you are, and keep giving them your best!

LOL,
Gladys

PS: I love the idea of "the subject as an excuse". Can I borrow it?

andre said...

Thank you Gladys! I certainly learn a lot from my students and my teachers (you among them :-P!)and this is one of the things I LOVE about being a teacher: I believe that in this way I can be a better teacher.
LOL,
Andrea
PS: You can certainly borrow the idea!!!!!!!!!